Friday, November 23, 2007

Howdy from Aggieland!

As promised, here I am alive and well, and I am proud to say I survived my first term at "B-school" (that's business school for you un-hip peoples) and I actually did pretty well. The most significant occurrence though? I already have an internship for next summer! I went to this HUGE career fair in Houston, not expecting to get much out of it, but I somehow got an interview with Intel while I was there. A few weeks later, I had an offer from ye olde producer of processors to spend my summer in Portland making more money than I could know what to do with....well actually I know perfectly well what to do with that money, but the bottom line is I'll be doing pretty well. So, we're way excited for that. The missus has already been scoping out the town for things to do and it looks like it's gonna be a fun summer!

I'm a few weeks into my 2nd term now, and unfortunately I find most of my classes extremely uninteresting. The worst is my IT class. We had some well seasoned IT consultants talk to us the other day, and I nearly started stabbing my eyes with my pencil for fun. The worst part is the prof (that's professor for the un-hip) is a BYU grad! In other school news: about a week back we held elections for our little MBA association here at A&M, and throughout the course of the elections basically anyone could be nominated (if they weren't already nominated previously) and so some wise guys in the back kept trying to nominate me for every position. The chants of Marcus grew louder as we progressed thru the various offices, until finally I gave in and ran for "VP-International" which is an office typically held by an international student. With my glaring lack of any kind of international experience as my running platform (does Hawaii count as another country?), I got up and gave my little speech. One of my good buddies, Vic, was running as well, so I basically got up there and made fun of the director of the MBA program, got some good laughs, and told everyone to vote for Vic. Well apparently my little speech was a big hit with the kids, and now they're asking me to be an MC at the "MBA Follies" which is a big fund raising event for the MBA's where we make fun of our professors and do skits and such. It's not official, but a little bird told me I was probably gonna be asked, so now I gots myself all nervous and such. Does anybody know any good on-strike writers who may want a little work? Send me your jokes!

On the familia front, everything is going pretty well. I have been blessed with a great wifey who is probably the best momma I know, so the kid-o's are doing awesome. Addy is talking up a storm and will basically say anything you tell her to. She also recently learned to kick a ball in a consistent fashion, so that's made her sports-crazy poppa pretty happy. Ms. Lyds has had a bout of pneumonia, but thanks to some good doctorin' and such she's recovering well. She's 7 months old now is seriously the most mellow little thang ever! But she is also such a sweetheart. All you have to do is look at her to get her to smile, and she has this cute little smirky-type smile that just gets me every time. The missus has been taking the girls to various playgroups and such every week, so that's been good for everybody. There's a playgroup of MBA families, one with the church mommas, a little pre-school type thing Addy goes to with a couple other kids, and a music class that Audrey takes the girls to once a week. Yeah, so we're having a lot of fun down here in Aggieland!

This weekend also marks the best sports weekend of my life thus far. I say "sports" intentionally because the wifey teases me and says that it will be "the best weekend of my entire life" but I say that one weekend where we got married was pretty good, and I would probably rather have that than go to 2 awesome rivalry games. Later today I'll be in attendance to watch Coach Franchione's last game as A&M's head coach as we take on U.T. ...oh excuse me, I'm supposed to say T.U. We'll probably get whooped, but it should be fun anyways. Then, tomorrow morning I fly to Utah to watch my beloved BYU Cougars put the smackdown on them dirty Utes! I happen to be going to the game with the great Giff, who happens to be my brother-in-law's uncle. Thanks for being related to Giff Dave! I will also be staying at my parent's new place in Draper, which is weird. It will be my first time to see my parents since they left Funkytown for the Wasatch mountains. Anyways, I'll leave you with this video to get all y'all pumped for the game on Saturday. My favorite part of this video is by far the guy screaming like a little girl in the background right after BYU scores. Much love to my peoples!

3 comments:

barb said...

ugh! i love portland! not fair. also not fair that you're going to the u game.

thanks for the update. we've been wondering about you guys.

Jason and Amy said...

dont you dare come to utah ever again without seeing us!

andi said...

I was wondering about you too! (But I know how grad school goes and finding time to post about something interesting...)

Wow, Portland! That will be awesome! Post some pics of those kids soon, okay?