Friday, February 23, 2007

i'm outta here baby!

Hey, yours truly got accepted to not one, but yup, count 'em 2 MBA programs thus far. In my last post, I was about to go to Lansing, Michigan for an interview with Michigan State, and that went pretty well. I did have to stay in Lansing for 2 nights though, which kinda sucked, but I was privileged to have a hot tub of sorts in my room! Woooo! I hope I didn't catch an STD from sitting in it for 10 minutes one night. Anyways, Lansing was a cool town and the business school was nice, but it was so frickin' cold. It was 8 degrees outside the morning I left, so that was a serious knock against MSU!
After returning from MSU, the missus and I took off for College Station, TX to check out A&M's program. I must say, A&M is the HUGEST campus I have ever seen. It's like if you took 5 or 6 of BYU's campus and strung em together. The facilities were way nice, and everybody there was very nice to me and the missus. I almost signed up right there when they took me in their graduate computer lab and it was full of 24 inch iMac's! (For those who may not know, I'm a serious Mac fanboy!) One of the strong selling points for A&M though is its strong alumni network. Aggies are usually very loyal to A&M and other alumni, so that's a big draw for me.
Anyways, both interviews went well, and I found out on Valentine's as we were headed out to dinner that I got accepted to A&M, and I just found out yesterday that I got in at Michigan State as well. It's very reassuring to know that I'll be going somewhere for grad school next fall, and that I don't have to stick around in my current job, even though it's been a great experience for me. I have to say, right now A&M is the leader in my eyes. We wouldn't have to move very far, it's not freeze-your-booty-off cold, they have a great career services dept. w/access to one of the best alumni networks in the country, they're ranked well, College Station is a nice little college town with a surprisingly large LDS student population, I would get in-state tuition, and I would be grouped with such prestigious alumni as Lyle Lovett! I would find it hard though to join a group of fans that I consider to be the most annoying and weird fans in college football. I mean look at these guys! Yup, they're squeezing what you think they're squeezing. Oh well. I also hate their football coach, Franchione (he used to be TCU's head coach), but what are you gonna do? They also have what Pat Forde calls the ugliest court in all of college basketball, and I must say that I agree to some degree with Mr. Forde's statements. Seeeee!?!?!?!

Well, all of my issues with their athletics won't influence my decision. I did interview with SMU this week, but who wants to spend $36k on one year of tuition? Not me says I! I will be traveling to Hot-lanta to visit Georgia Tech in a couple of weeks though, and they look as if they have the potential to dethrone A&M. And I have yet to hear anything from Virginia. Oh well. Oh, and that no good institution where I spent so many hours, BYU, rejected me. That was sad. They want me to have more work experience, but I say "Blow it out your ear Cecil!" Ha! as I informed the missus, BYU will not have access to my money for many years due to this occurrence! Well, they won't have access unless it involves my Cougars and the lovely foosball team with them gargantuans! Oh well. GIG 'EM!

2 comments:

andi said...

Wow! Doesn't it feel good to get accepted?? Both A&M and Michigan are so well recognized. Bummer about BYU, though. Maybe you weren't Mormon enough :)

Maybe it's just because UNT's sports suck as a whole, but I've found that you aren't into your grad school's sports as much as undergrad. You don't really have time for it. I was still way more into BYU sports that anything else. Still would be fun to go catch a GOOD football game though!

Congrats- I hope you get to go somewhere that you really want.

barb said...

plus michigan is... well... michigan. all they have is a buncha lakes there.

goooo TEXAS!