Thursday, March 01, 2007

a little bit of culture

I've decided that since I am soooo cultured, and since my taste in all things music, movies, and television are sooo much more sophisticated and advanced than all of you plebes, I will impart some of my great taste in the form of random posts so that you can look cool in front of your friends discussing all the coolest stuff. I kid, I kid...but I will be imparting some of my opinions on the hottest stuff going down in th J.T. household. So here goes installment numero uno.

Movies:
Me and the Missus saw Music and Lyrics last weekend starring Mr. Hugh Grant, who is, by the way, one of my favorite actors in a guilty pleasure kind-a way. Have you seen Love Actually?!?!? Long story-short, in the movie Hugh is a has-been member of an 80's pop-synth band named PoP! and is asked to write a song for this Britney Spears/Xtina teeny bopper/stripper/singer girl person and receives some lyrical (and luv-ical) help from Drew Barrymore who plays his plant-lady. As far as romantic comedies go, it was pretty good. Hugh Grant is his usual self, which is enjoyable, and Drew is o.k. as well (no where near her performance in 50 First Dates mind you). The music in the film is actually pretty good, seeing as how it was done by Adam Schlesinger, the same guy that did the music for That Thing You Do, and who is also in Fountains of Wayne, a great pop-rock band of Stacy's Mom fame (don't judge them by that song though, they're much better). PoP!'s main hit in the film "Pop! Goes my Heart" is actually a really good pop song, and has managed to find its way onto my iPod recently. I listen to it shamelessly as I zoom to and from work everyday lightly bobbing my head and doing the "PoP" whipping motion they do in the video, which is entirely awesome as you will see here. I love you Hugh Grant! The lead singer from PoP! is played by Scott Porter, who also plays Jason Street, my fav-o-rite paralyzed-from-the-waist-down-quarterback in one of my fav-o-rite shows, Friday Night Lights. It was good to see my man up and walking again! Anyways, it was pretty funny in parts and light-hearted and pretty enjoyable overall, so I'd say see it if nothin' else sounds good that night, aka if Norbit is sold out again! I guess I'll use a star system for these things. 4/6 Stars! Yippee!

Music: The latest jams currently burning up our iTunes playlists is The Shins' latest album Wincing the Night Away. I first fell in love with The Shins when I saw Garden State, and I also looove their last album Chutes Too Narrow. Natalie Portman didn't lie in Garden State when she said that they would "change your life". The Shins play an original sort of artsy-indie-pop-rock brand of music that leans heavily on the unique sound of their lead singer's voice and deceptively intricate compositions. Wincing is no different and is really great from start to finish in my opinion. It is different from past albums though, as the band has made some progressive strides in their song writing. This album has really grown on me though over the past few weeks despite my initial ho-hum-ness about the record. Anyways, go out there and check out Wincing the Night Away, especially Sleeping Lessons which is the best track on the entire album if you ask me!

Television: If you haven't yet seen the wonder and glory that is 30 Rock, please please watch it! The writing on this show is genious and Alec Baldwin is sooooo awesomely funny that I nearly spew my Blue Bell Banana Split ice cream out ma' nose every Thursday evening! At first I was a little skeptical about the show, but it has impressed me so much recently that it has slipped into my #2 favorite show slot, right below Lost (y'all stop hatin'!). Sorry My Name is Earl & The Office (previously tied for #2)! Maybe my changing opinions have something to do with a guest appearance by Senor Paul Reubens, a.k.a. Pee Wee, as the inbred Prince Gerhardt.

If you watch the show though, you'll realize it's all about my man Kenneth! Kenneth is such a great character though, and very well played by whatever the heck this guy's name is. I highly recommend 30 Rock. I don't think you'll be dissappointed in the least! And watch out for Kenneth, he's comin' to get ya!

Coming soon: Even though it's 2 weeks late, I will be officialy announcing the winner of our Valentine's Extravaganza Cookie Decorating Contest sometime this weekend. Stay tuned!

No comments: