Wednesday, June 27, 2007

i quit!

After all my careful planning and plotting regarding my resignation, I decided that I would go in Tuesday afternoon and let my manager know I was leaving to get my MBA at A&M and that I would be doing so in a month. Well, funny thing happened, and I swear it went down this way...I try and call my manager to see if she has a minute to meet with me, but she doesn't answer, so I hang up. About a minute later my cubicle neighbor pops around the corner and lets me know that she will be transferring to another department in July and that she had just told our manager earlier that day! I couldn't believe this, so I laughed for a few seconds and then told her how I had just tried to call our manager to talk to her about my leaving in July. Can you believe that? Now this is a big deal because we only have two other people besides myself that do what I do, and now 2 of us were leaving within days of each other!
So I go in to my manager and throw my nice buttered up speech out the window to spare the poor woman, and I say something to the effect of "To make a long story short, I got into A&M's MBA program, and I'll be leaving at the end of July." Rip that band-aid right off! Luckily, she was really cool and we had a nice talk about it, but I know she was really freaking out on the inside. Do I have bad timing or what?

No comments: