Monday, June 05, 2006

Mavericks in the Finals.....you lyin'!


gomavs6-2
Originally uploaded by Marcus T..
Last Saturday night, I watched excitedly as the Mavs rallied in the second half of game 6 to beat the Suns in order to go to the NBA Finals. Now, as many of you know, I have been a hardcore Mavs fan for a little bit over a decade now. I sat in my room as a 14 year old stupified (sp?) by the moves of Jason Kidd...I rooted them on (no matter how far away I was) as they finally made it to the playoffs, but had no chance of making it past the second round...I remember working out on a P-day on my mission at a gym in downtown Salt Lake when they showed Dirk's tooth getting knocked out against the Spurs on ESPN News...I almost cried when Stevie Nash left for Phoenix, and I applauded when Mike Finley finally got out of the Big D...and then there I was Saturday night watching Mark Cuban and what is probably the best group of Mavericks ever (some say the '88 team that lost to the Showtime Lakers was better), saying, "This is probably the first time in my life that I'm speechless." or something to that effect as he and the Little General hoisted up the Western Conference Champs trophy. So, the weird thing here is that the Mavs being in the freaking NBA Finals hasn't sunk in to my ginormous head yet. I'm still waiting for someone to come out and say that we've all been Punk'd or something. I guess I've always wanted the Mavs to be playing for a championship, but now that it's here I can't believe it. I guess in the back of my head I expect the old Mavs I'm used to to show up and fail miserably in the face of adversity. I guess you can just call me Thursday after the game's started and ask me about it then. Hopefully by then I'll wake up and realize that the Mavs are really in the freakin' NBA Finals, and are quite possibly the best team in the NBA. GO MAVS!!!!! Oh, the pic is of me and Ms. Addy before game 5 when my Dirky dropped half-a-hundred on them Suns and that punk Tim Thomas.

No comments: